Media Diet: The Last Nine Months
Well, it's been a while! Since I haven't blogged about any of the Content I've Consumed since May 2022, let's get caught up.
Here's an incomplete list in a chaotic order because I don't remember when I actually watched/listen to/read these things. I don't have commentary for everything, since it has been a while. Just know I enjoyed all of these things, even if I can't tell you why.
📺️ Television #
- Trixie Motel (discovery+) - This was a fun show. I did not expect it to exist, but Trixie Mattel is enterprising enough that I was not surprised she managed to make a TV show while purchasing and renovating a motel in Palm Springs.
- How to Build a Sex Room (Netflix) - Almost exactly what it says on the tin: an interior designer renovates rooms to make them better to have sex in. Despite the title, it's less how-to and more home makeover show.
- Tuca & Bertie (Adult Swim) - Tuca & Bertie has always been a treasure, and their third season was no exception. Unfortunately due to corporate consolidation and monopolies, it's been cancelled again and we just can't have nice things. At least it existed.
- Young Royals (Netflix)
- Smiley (Netflix) - A generally happy gay love story set in Spain? Yes please!
- Reservation Dogs (FX on Hulu)
- Loot (Apple TV+) - I'll watch anything with Maya Rudolph, Ron Funches, and Joel Kim Booster.
- So many RuPaul's Drag Race franchises (WOW Presents Plus)
- The White Lotus (HBO) - Ugh! Aubrey Plaza, Jennifer Coolidge, the shitty husbands!! "These gays! They're trying to murder me!"
🎶 Music #
- Lizzo - Special - Another really solid album from Lizzo! Favorite tracks: 2 Be Loved (Am I Ready), Special, and Everybody’s Gay.
- Jessie Ware - Free Yourself - Jessie's back and she's giving disco. There's not much more to say except "Don't stop"
- Beyoncé - RENAISSANCE - It took me a listen or two to "get" RENAISSANCE, but once I did I fell in love. The whole album should be listened to in one sitting, but I always find myself listening to: ALIEN SUPERSTAR, CUFF IT, VIRGO'S GROOVE, and HEATED.
- Carly Rae Jepsen - The Loneliest Time - Fun fact: we saw CRJ live in concert on the day this album came out! My favorites tracks are: Joshua Tree, Talking to Yourself, Anxious (Bonus Track), and Keep Away (Bonus Track).
- SZA - SOS - Immediate hit album, do not pass go, do not fuck with SZA. Favorite tracks: Kill Bill, Seek & Destroy, Ghost in the Machine, F2F, and I Hate U.
- Tove Lo - Dirt Femme - My boyfriend listened to this album around me so much that it basically seeped into my mind. I'm not mad though, because it's pretty fun. Favorite tracks: 2 Die 4, Grapefruit, and Pineapple Slice – this song is dirty! 🥵
- MUNA - MUNA - The first four tracks off this album got me: Silk Chiffon, What I Want, Runner's High, and Home By Now. Can I just say that What I Want is very much how I've felt since COVID lockdowns happened?
📚 Books #
- Beginners by Tom Vanderbilt - A fun book about trying new things just for the sake of trying new things.
- Chatter by Ethan Kross - A pop-sci book about the voice inside your head.
- Crying in H Mart by Michelle Zauner - A book about having a dying parent and the grief afterwards. I couldn't put this book down and it made me cry.